Alfredo Gravagnuolo is multidisciplinary scientist who studies the chemical and physical attributes of biomolecules and nanomaterials in order to develop new sustainable nano-biotechnologies, processes, medicines and products that will improve the quality of human life.
Alfredo’s mission is also to foster research impact beyond academia towards industrialisation and raise public awareness on the emerging field of nanobiotechnology (see Nanobiotechnolog Hub).
Development of nano-biotechnology based on peptides, proteins, and two-dimensional (2D) nanomaterials towards applications in biomedicine (proteomics, biosensing, drug delivery) and industry: (I) bio-interfaced nanomaterials; (II) functional nanostructured surfaces; (III) sustainable processing.
Deep practical experience in physicochemical characterisation of peptides, self-assembling proteins & 2D nanomaterials (graphene, GO and MoS2). Liquid formulations/dispersions of nanomaterials, proteins and their supramolecular assemblies. Surface modification/functionalisation. Nanobiophotonics.
Related areas of interest:
Biophysics, Materials Science, Colloid & Surface Science, Chemical Engineering.
Very broad practical experience acquired across multiple biomedical and industrial projects, in UK, Italy and Spain. Consolidated international scientific network in universities, research institutes, journal editorial boards and scientific societies. Engaged in social activities.
Projects – Alfredo Gravagnuolo Research Scientist
- 2017/20 UK National Grant: EP/P00119X/1 – EPSRC. 2D Health: 2D Materials for Next Generation Healthcare Technologies. Research: chemistry core; 2D Sheets for Cancer Immunotherapy; Smart Membranes in Trauma and Wound Care. P.I. Prof. K. Kostarelos, C.I. Prof. N. Tirelli. Industrial partners: AstraZeneca; Smith & Nephew. The university of Manchester, UK.
- 2016/17 Italian national grant: PON03PE_00107_1/1 – PON “R&C” 2007/2013. BioPoliS: Development of green technologies for production of BIOchemicals and their use in preparation and industrial application of POLImeric materials from agricultural biomasses cultivated in a Sustainable way in Campania region. Research: Surface functionalisation via fungal self-assembling proteins. P.I. Prof. V. Faraco. C.I. Prof. P. Giardina. The University of Naples “Federico II”, Italy.
- 2015 Italian regional grant: P.O.R. Campania FERS 2007/2013. BIP: “Bio Industrial Processes” – project for a Regional Biotechnologies Network in Campania. P.I. Prof. G. Sannia. C.I. Prof. P. Giardina. The University of Naples “Federico II”, Italy.
- 2013 Italian regional grant: P.O.R. Campania FSE 2007/2013. CREMe: Campania Research in Experimental Medicine. P.I. Prof. M. Furia. Research: Towards Novel Biosensing, Diagnostics and Drug Delivery Smart Systems: Functionalization of Carbon Nanomaterials by the Hydrophobin Vmh2. Supervised by Prof. A. Merkoçi and Prof. E. Morales-Narváez. Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICN2), Barcelona, Spain.
- 2012. Ministry of Education, Universities and Research (MIUR), Italy. PhD scholarship. Hydrophobins from Pleurotus ostreatus in biotechnological industry. Supervised by Prof. P. Giardina. The University of Naples “Federico II”, Italy.
- 2011. EU Leonardo da Vinci Programme: Unipharma-graduates 7. Research: Photo-Switchable Peptides for Non Invasive Remote Control of Cell Trafficking. Supervised by Prof. P. Gorostiza. Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC), Barcelona, Spain.
- 2011. Volunteer project at the University of Naples “Federico II”. Research: Innovative Methodologies for Protein-protein Cross-linking Induced by UV Laser. Supervised by Prof. L. Birolo, Prof. C. Altucci, Prof. R. Velotta. The University of Naples “Federico II”, Italy.
- 2018/19 Member: American Chemical Society (ACS). Divisions: Colloid & Surface Chemistry; Biochemical Technology; Physical Chemistry.
- 2017/19 Member: Controlled Release Society (CRS) Italy Local Chapter.
- 2016/19 Ordinary Member: European Association of Material Surfaces Science & Technology (EMASST).